The Maps and Plans Gallery showcases the archive’s wonderful collection of maps and plans. The collection comprises around 1,500 manuscript and printed items reflecting the historically extensive landholding, political and public responsibilities of the Dukes of Argyll, 17th – 20th c. It is an integral part of the family and estate archive, and the richness of both collections (written and drawn) offers great potential to explore Scotland’s built and landscape heritage in unusually great detail.
Plan of the South Front of Inveraray Castle, attributed to Roger Morris, 1744-47. (FP 48)
Some of Britain’s finest Georgian architects, including Roger Morris, Robert Adams and Robert Mylne, were commissioned to work on Inveraray Castle. They created many lovely watercolour plans of the Castle and estate buildings, which are preserved in the archive.
Design for the drawing room ceiling at Inveraray Castle, by Robert Mylne, 1780. (FP 84)
The plan suggests two alternative decorative finishes for the ceiling.
Sketch shewing the direction which the proposed town approach will take with reference to Inveraray Castle and landscape, by William Nesfield, 1848. (FP 64)
In 1848 the 8th Duke of Argyll commissioned William Nesfield to re-design the castle policies and gardens. Note how carefully he planned the course of the driveway to create a pleasing vista for visitors to the castle ‘The composition of this scene as a picture is most artistically varied …’ Nesfield later went on to work for Sir William Hooker, Director of Kew Gardens.
Roger Morris’s ‘Letters and Instructions for building Inverara Castle for His Grace The Duke of Argyll in Argyllshire, 1744-47’
Roger Morris was commissioned to build Inveraray Castle in 1744 to replace the old castle, a 15th c tower house, which had become dilapidated and dangerous. His letter book contains copies of letters sent to the Duke describing his vision and how the Castle should be built. He includes sketches, plans and elevations of all parts of the building, including details of windows, doorways and fireplaces, and plans of follies and bridges which were to be built within the grounds.
Elevation of Glenarary and Inveraray Parish Church, by Robert Mylne, 1800. (FP 190)
Mylne had several ideas for developing the church in both appearance and function – this plan shows an unexecuted proposal for a tetrastyle portico which would have provided a covered area for the town’s market.
Elevation of the Front of the New Town of Inveraray, by Robert Mylne, c1747. (FP 187b)
Detail showing (from left to right) the Chamberlain’s House, Town House, Ivy Cottage, Town Wall, Argyll Arms Hotel (‘The Great Inn’) and the archway over the Dalmally Road. The archway is shown in detail above. On the left, note unexecuted plans for a grand entrance to the Main Street.
The new town of Inveraray was one of Scotland’s first planned towns. It was built about a mile from its original location and linked to the Castle grounds by a series of grand avenues, which still survive. The archive contains many plans of the new town, including its public buildings and principal private residences. Architects employed on this venture included Roger Morris, Roger Mylne, Robert Adams and his sons, John and William, all of whom had also worked on various phases of the Castle building.
A Plan of His Grace The Duke of Argyle’s Inveraray, by Daniel Paterson, 1756. (CPF 4)
This plan shows the new Castle and town of Inveraray in red, set within landscaped grounds and plantations. The site of the old town is marked in writing below the Castle.
A Plan of the Lands of Baravaich, Kenmore, Culnacru, Cregans and Kilbride Muir, by William Douglas, March 1771. (RP 2)
Detailed, interesting and highly illustrated plan showing the laying out of six crofts and a planned village at Kenmore, Loch Fyne (‘the proposed village at Felinmore’). The new village was intended to house the ‘better sorts of tenants’ from the old town of Inveraray, who had been displaced from their homes through landscaping of the new Castle grounds.
The plan also illustrates current and previous land-uses, such as ‘the vestiges of Culnacru houses’, ‘arable and delving ground’, ground which ‘has been in culture’, ‘woodland’, ‘scroggy hazel’ and ‘mossy ground grown over with gawl.’
Crude sketch plan of Tiree, c1680. (NRAS6/PV30/11)
A very early plan of Tiree and the earliest plan in the archive. This formed part of the evidence presented to the Privy Council in settling the Earl of Argyll’s claim to the island against the MacLeans, Feb-July 1680. Other evidence in the archive includes a list of witnesses and their statements.
Plan of the Island of Tiree in Argyleshire the Property of His Grace The Duke of Argyll. Surveyed and Plan’d Anno 1768/9 by James Turnbull. (RP 38)
James Turnbull’s beautifully illustrated plan shows Tiree before the creation of the 19th century crofting landscape. It depicts a densely settled landscape of pre-improvement farming townships, surrounded by cultivated fields farmed in run-rig, together with natural resources such as peat grounds and antiquities such as burial grounds, forts and duns. The plan is accompanied by a detailed 111 page written survey of the island describing the landscape and townships, together with comments on the people, their farming practices, culture and traditions.
A Map of the District of Kantyre [Kintyre] in Argyllshire most humbly dedicated to His Grace John Duke of Argyll by George Langlands and Sons, Land Surveyors, 1793 (PV 9)
This colourful and detailed map shows all of the settlements in Kintyre and the estates in which they lay, colour-coded by landowner. It reflects the intimate knowledge of Kintyre which George Langlands had gained over more than thirty years whilst working as land surveyor and agricultural improver to the 5th Duke of Argyll, from 1769.
This extract shows agricultural improvements and industrial development around Campbeltown.